You might think that an electric hot plate can only be used for easy cooking methods, such as making soup or reheating leftovers. But actually, they can also function just as well as traditional burners. They’re so versatile that you can use them for any type of food preparation, including cooking up those juicy cuts of meat.
Here, you’ll learn how to sear and serve a restaurant-quality steak using an electric hot plate.
How to Make a Perfect Steak Using an Electric Hot Plate
What You’ll Need
- Vegetable oil
- Meat thermometer
- Clean plates
Step 1: Defrost Your Meat
Take the steak out of your refrigerator, and place it on a plate for 30 minutes to an hour. Keep in mind that if you don’t thaw your steak, its outer section will burn before its internal layers are cooked properly.
Step 2: Prepare Your Pan
Plug in your electric hot plate, and heat your skillet on it.
Pro Tip: Use a heavy-duty pan, such as a cast-iron skillet. This type of cookware maintains and distributes heat evenly, cooking your steak accurately.
Step 3: Season Your Pan
Apply a thin layer of vegetable oil to your hot skillet. As the oil begins to smoke, put your steak in the middle of your pan.
Step 4: Sear Your Steak
Sear each side of your steak for several minutes. Use a pair of tongs when flipping your steak. Try to achieve a brown crust all over the meat surface.
Note that the cooking time is based on several factors, such as its cut and thickness. So, you have to check the cooking progress from time to time.
Pro Tip: Season your steak for at least 40 minutes up to 24 hours before cooking it. This will help add flavors not only to the surface but also to the insides of your steak. After seasoning, put your steak back in the fridge.
Step 5: Check the Doneness of Your Steak
Get your meat thermometer, and insert it into the middle part of the meat to check if it’s already done. The temperature depends on your preferred doneness level.
For instance, if you want your steak rare, it must finish around 140 degrees Fahrenheit. However, the temperature will still rise between five and 10 degrees once you remove your steak from the pan. In that case, take your steak off the pan once it reaches 130 degrees.
Afterward, place your steak on a clean plate, and let it sit for five minutes. During this resting period, the meat fibers hold on to the juices, giving you a juicier piece of steak.
Best Electric Hot Plates
Electric stoves don’t only make for a great device for cooking steaks; they’re also an ideal kitchen helper, especially if you live in a dorm room and have a cramped kitchen, because of their portability and durability.
To help narrow down your choices, here’s a list of the best electric burners that you can conveniently purchase on Amazon:
With 1500 watts of power, the Cusimax hot plate is such a powerful cooking device, yet it’s easy to control. It’s equipped with two knobs that serve as the burner’s switch and its temperature control.
This hot plate heats quickly with its seven heat settings. Just turn the temperature knob, and it’ll keep a steady temperature to effortlessly cook a variety of food, such as sauces, soup, eggs, cheese, pasta, and veggies among others.
This single burner has a 7.4-inch heating plate, which is compatible with all types of cookware. You may use any pots and pans with it, whether they’re made of cast iron, aluminum, or copper.
It also features a stainless steel body to withstand everyday cooking. This exterior’s smooth surface is easy to clean–just wipe it off with a damp cloth. Its feet are made of non-slip rubber to make sure that it stays firmly in place as you cook.
Some of its safety features include an indicator light, overheat protection, and automatic shutoff. Plus, the hot plate doesn’t emit harmful radiation, so it’s definitely safe to use.
This cooktop features 7.5-inch infrared burners over a scratch-resistant premium glass surface. It can heat up quicker and more evenly than traditional gas burners and electric coils. This helps avoid hot spots or uneven cooking.
It’s also compatible with all types of cookware. Its double-burner capacity can help you accommodate a large group and cook two different meals at the same time. Each burner delivers up to 900W, which is powerful enough to simmer, fry, and boil any type of food.
It’s equipped with stainless steel handles, which remain cool during the cooking process. These handles, including the burners and stainless steel housing, are all easy to clean.
Weighing only a little more than three pounds, this electric coil burner is small and lightweight, yet it’s packed with 1000 watts. This makes it an ideal device for preparing quick meals. It features a knob with seven temperature settings for easy cooking.
This 6.4-inch hot plate is made of a heavy-duty non-stick cast iron flat burner, which is easy to clean. This also ensures a more even heat distribution compared with other budget-friendly coil burners on the market.
If you need an electric stove for boiling water or preparing that cup of coffee in the morning, this single burner cooktop can quickly deliver with its 1200 watts of power.
It’s compact and portable, making it easy to carry around and store in a bag. It has non-slip rubber feet so it won’t slide from your kitchen counter while you cook.
It works well with all types of cookware, including aluminum, which isn’t compatible with an induction cooktop. You can also lift its 5.5-inch hinged coils for easy cleaning in case of spills and drips.
- PORTABLE INDUCTION BURNER Duxtop induction cooktop uses 120V 15 amp electrical outlet–standard in all North American homes. ETL listed and built to North American electrical standards. Lightweight, portable induction cooktop makes handling and storage easy. Perfect for dorm rooms, home kitchens, backyard cooking, RVs, boats, etc.
- HIGH EFFICIENCY Choose from 15 preset power levels 200W to 1800W and 15 preset temperature level settings 140 F to 460 F. With an 83 percentage energy efficiency rating, induction cooker is more efficient than traditional gas or electric stoves yet provides quick heat-up and faster cooking times
- EASY TO CLEAN & VIEW With no open flame or heating element, food does not burn on the oversized glass cooktop, making the induction burner easy to clean just wipe with a damp towel. The angle control panel with a large display screen, providing easy viewing, even from a distance.
- REQUIRES INDUCTION READY COOKWARE Induction stoves rely on cookware to heat, so it’s essential to choose magnetic bottom cookware with a minimum diameter of 5 inches. The auto-pan detection will shut the unit off automatically after 60 seconds if no cookware, or the incorrect cookware is detected.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED Please allow the induction hot plate to cool down before cleaning. If you have any questions with our product, please feel free to contact our customer service.
Duxtop induction burner has flexible preset power levels, ranging from 200W all the way to 1800W. It also features 15 preset temperature settings, from 140 degrees to 460 degrees Fahrenheit.
All these figures reflect the induction’s power, yet it’s efficient when it comes to energy consumption. It also heats up and cooks faster than conventional burners.
It’s equipped with a digital control panel with an LED display that’s angled, so you can easily view the indicators, even if you’re far from the cooktop.
Since this device has no open flame, any food spillage won’t burn and won’t stick to the surface. This means easy cleanup after cooking.
However, one drawback of induction cooking is its cookware compatibility. Keep in mind that only magnetic cookware, with at least a 5-inch diameter, will work with this type of cooktop.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Electric Hot Plate
A portable burner may not possess all the features a standard gas stove has, but you’ll be amazed at what this appliance can do. Make sure to look out for these factors as you select your very own electric hot plate:
The cooking power of your electric hot plate is measured in watts. This also refers to the maximum heat your hot plate can achieve and how fast it can heat. The higher the wattage, the quicker your cooking can be.
Generally, infrared and coil burners use 900 to 1500 watts. Meanwhile, induction burners use 1800 watts.
Some double-burners have two power ratings, which means each burner can deliver different power outputs. However, be careful with these types of hot plates, especially if they’re promoted as having 1800 watts. This power might be divided between the two burners, meaning each hot plate has only 900 watts.
Portable burners, specifically electric hot plates, have three ways of heating. The type of heating you choose affects how fast the hot plate will heat up and how evenly it can distribute heat.
- Metal coils: Coils distribute heat directly to the pot or pan sitting on top of them. They’re affordable but can cause hot spots. They can also be tougher to clean, as food can spill and drip between and under the coils. However, some hot plates encase coils in cast iron, wherein heat is distributed more evenly. This also gives you a smooth surface for easier cleanup.
- Infrared: This type uses halogen lamps, which are situated under a ceramic cooktop. The halogen lamps heat up the ceramic, then the ceramic heats up the cookware. It can cook your food faster and more evenly than coil burners.
- Induction: Perhaps the best hot plate out there, an induction burner takes heat distribution and even cooking to the next level. Like infrared, induction also has a smooth top, but it transfers heat directly to the cookware without heating the cooktop. However, it can be expensive, and it works only with magnetic cookware.
Number of Burners
Electric hot plates usually come in either one or two burners.
If you want a portable device that you can squeeze into your bag, then you may opt for a single-burner hot plate. On the other hand, if you wish to diversify your cooking and want to prepare two meals simultaneously, then double-burners are for you. However, they can be a bit bulkier and more pricey.
Hot Plate Size
Check the size of your pots and pans and see if they’re close to the diameter of your hot plate. If your skillets and coffee pots have a large base, then you have to use a wide hot plate. You want their measurements to be almost the same so you can achieve even and efficient cooking.
Generally, hot plates have overheating protection, which turns off the device in case of extremely high temperatures. Some also have a child lock system for the control panel to avoid your device from being accidentally activated or deactivated by your kids. Additionally, other hot plates have an automatic shut-off feature that shuts down the burner when not in use.
It’s essential that your electric hot plate has a wide range of settings so you can control its temperature. Some have low to high power settings, while others have more than six settings. Some hot plates can be operated with a single button, while others have various features, like LCD displays and timers.
Just remember that the more temperature settings there are in your hot plate, the more control you can have over your cooking. This lessens the risk of burning or even undercooking your food.
There are plenty of reasons why you should keep an electric hot plate on hand. It’s a portable, affordable, and convenient cooking device. It’s so compact that you can use it in small spaces, such as dorms, studio apartments, or RVs. It can also serve as an additional stovetop in a busy kitchen.
Plus, you can cook almost anything with it, including your favorite steak recipe. So, plugin that electric hot plate, and start cooking your masterpiece!
Are you ready to cook steak like a pro? Visit our page to learn about some recipe ideas that you can serve with your steak.
Other Blog Posts That You Might Like
- Roundup Review Of The Best Induction Burners
- Thermador Induction Cooktop Reviews
- Which Is The Best Induction Cooktop?