Copper cookware has a solid reputation for being high-quality and easy to use. Its conductivity and adhesion properties surpass aluminum and stainless steel, making it the perfect cookware solution for temperature-sensitive foods. Copper’s ability to heat up efficiently and evenly across surfaces makes it an ideal solution for your cooking needs.
Our review provides you with the best copper cookware options on the market, the critical things to consider before buying, and how to make your copper cookware products last longer.
Table of Contents
T-fal Ultimate Stainless Steel Copper Bottom 13-Piece Cookware Set – Best Cookware for Budget
The T-fal Ultimate Stainless Steel Copper Cookware set gives you the most for your money because of its versatile 13 options. It is practical, budget-friendly and provides you the tools for any cooking situation. The pack comes with a 5-quart stew pot, frying pan in 8, 10.5, 12.5 inches, and three saucepans with lids.
Each piece of cookware is made of aluminum and stainless steel layers, which pair with copper for evenly distributed heat. It also comes with riveted handles made for easy carrying across the kitchen. The various pieces come with a vented glass lid, which effectively traps in heat and moisture. These lids also effectively prevent boiling water from spilling over the sides.
T-fal cookware is oven safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and is perfect for situations when you need to glaze, sear, or brown your foods. It is suitable for all cooktop types and is dishwasher safe, although handwashing is preferred. The T-fal cookware comes with a lifetime limited warranty for all its customers.
Although you get a good deal on price with this cookware set, the copper tends to fade and discolor quicker than the other alternatives. The copper is also only present on the bottom and not the sides, so you may not receive the full benefits with this product.
- Sturdy gauge base with many copper layers
- Aluminum and stainless steel delivers evenly distributed heat
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean up
- Strong handles and induction base
- Stainless steel interior surface does not react negatively to acidic foods
- The product comes with a lifetime limited warranty
- Stainless steel, ergonomic handles are riveted and made for comfort
- Vented glass lids trap moisture and reduce boiling over
- Oven safe up to to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cooking foods may take longer
- The copper bottom may discolor
- The sides of the cookware are thinner than average
- The longer handles are awkward for saute pans
The Gotham Cookware earns the best saucepan on the list because of its Ti-Cerama coating, which allows food to slide off the surface seamlessly while offering a simple cleanup process. This copper-surface saucepan also comes with toxin-free materials, which are all PFOS, PTHE, and PFOA free.
Gotham’s lightweight design also makes it the best saucepan. People of all cooking skill levels can comfortably move the pan easily while juggling multiple responsibilities. The longer handles are shaped for safety and contain a convenient hole for hanging the cookware in the kitchen. It is also heavy enough to eliminate the possibility of warping after continued use.
The robust surface and design also protect against potential scratches from metal utensils. Although you should try to use tools that do not scratch, this saucepan’s design ensures you can pick any utensil you want without damaging the product.
This saucepan is a great choice not only for whipping up some tasty sauces, but it is also a good choice for making oatmeal, boiling pasta, or apple sauce. The steam hole ventilation in the lids helps regulate the temperature even better.
- Ti-Cerama coating is non-stick
- Dishwasher safe
- The handles stay cool to the touch, especially at higher temperatures
- Toxin-free materials are all PTHE-, PFOS-, and PFOA-free
- Oven safe up to temperatures of 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- The lightweight design makes cookware easy to use for most
- Scratch proof design
- Less likely to warp
- Steam hole in the lids for ventilation
- The cookware curves inward, which can cause difficulty in pouring in liquids
- Not recommended for high-heat cooking
- Non-stick coating may lose quality over extended use
- Handle may be challenging to grip and carry
Matfer Bourgeat 8-Piece Copper Cookware Set – Best Premium Cookware Set
The Matfer Bourgeat 8-Piece Copper Cookware is the definition of elegance. The different pieces allow you to simmer, sauté, and braise with ease. Many customers appreciate the beautiful but simple design, and fine craftsmanship.
Matfer manufactures its cookware pieces with an interior layer of polished stainless steel at 1-millimeter thickness. The smooth exterior 2.5-millimeter layer also adds extra stability. This exterior layer helps optimize the copper conductivity, creating a consistent cooking temperature no matter what food you are dealing with.
The tapered rim also allows you to pour liquids out of each piece without spilling anything. The stainless steel lining and polished surfaces also eliminate the chance of food sticking to the surface. Compared to other products on the list, the surface retains its smooth finish far more effectively in the long run.
The cooking set is also simple and straightforward to clean up. Matfer’s cookware set will make you look and feel like a professional cook, and it will allow you to prepare high-quality food as well.
- A complete set for a variety of cooking methods
- The 2.5-millimeter thickness provides an even cooking surface
- Stainless steel on the interior is easy to clean
- Optimal conductivity of copper on the exterior
- Tapered rim makes it easy to pour liquids and food from one pot to the other
- Heavy-duty materials back up the high price point
- Polished surfaces and stainless steel lining prevent foods from sticking to the surface
- Evenly heats foods better than most cookware sets on the market
- Heavier construction might make the cookware challenging to carry
- Extremely expensive for those who are abiding by a budget
- There might be a small learning curve with this set, especially for people who have never used copper cookware before
Copper Chef 3-Piece Fry Pan Set – Best Frying Pan Set
The Copper Chef 3-Piece Fry Pan Set is the best option for frying pans because of its Cerami-tech coating on the exterior. The non-stick, copper-colored ceramic color on the inside offers an effective solution for all types of foods, including pancakes, eggs, and bacon.
You can prepare your meals with minimal oil and feel confident that the foods will slide off easily. The PFOA- and PTFE-free materials and stainless steel plates help induct heat evenly throughout the surface.
Copper Chef’s frying pan set is durable and ergonomic. The aluminum construction helps the cookware last longer and gives it a lightweight design for easy use.
These pans can withstand temperatures up to 850 degrees Fahrenheit, which allows you to cook foods in both the oven and stove. It would help if you always seasoned the pieces before each use, but they are also suitable for the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
- Cerami-tech non-stick coating requiring minimal oil
- Materials are both PFOA and PTFE free
- The stainless steel plates induct heat efficiently and evenly
- The aluminum design and construction give the product reliable strength and durability
- Ergonomic handles make it easy to carry and hang up on handles in the kitchen
- Dishwasher safe
- Three quality cookware set pieces for a good value
- Heat resistant materials up to 850 degrees Fahrenheit
- 5-layer construction extends the longevity of the product
- Large cooking capacity and round design makes it suitable for the oven
- Aluminum materials do not last much longer than a year
- Stickier foods like eggs do not come off as easily
- Handles are thinner and tend to bend easier after continued use
Lagostina Martellata Copper Cookware Set – Best For Overall Investment
The Lagostina Martellata Copper Cookware set will add an extra level of elegance to your kitchen because of the stylish hammered finish. Apart from its appearance, Lagostina provides a tri-ply construction, which helps evenly distribute heat across the pan when cooking. This surface also helps the food lock in its flavor and moisture for a much tastier meal.
The edges and handles of the Lagostina cookware set are both ergonomic and build for effective long-term use. It comes with flared, rolled edges, making it easy to pour liquids between pieces or out into a separate dish. The cast stainless steel handles also provide a comfortable fit for your hands as you transport the food across the kitchen.
Lagostina’s cookware set also comes with nylon scrubbing pads, both comfortable and safe to use. This cookware set is safe for both the broiler and oven, and it will operate effectively up to 500 degrees. It also goes with every type of stove, except induction.
- Tri-ply construction delivers even heat across the pan
- Stainless steel exterior provides a combination of elegance and stability
- Surface helps preserve flavors and is ideal for searing
- Stainless steel lids help lock in moisture and flavor
- The cookware set is easy to clean either by hand or in the dishwasher
- Rolled edges are flared and make it convenient to pour liquids out
- Cast stainless steel handles make it easy to carry around the kitchen
- The bronze grain and color add to the aesthetic of the kitchen
- Copper color tends to wear off quickly
- The pots are might be too heavy for some users
- Doesn’t rate as high as other competitors when cooking “sticky” foods
Our winner is the Lagostina cookware set because of the overall value and benefits you are receiving for your investment. Not only do you get ten different cookware piece options for all your cooking needs, but the combination of materials elevates the experience higher than the other options on the list.
The unique tri-ply construction combines aluminum and stainless steel to distribute heat evenly throughout the entire surface. Lagostina’s hammered stainless exterior also provides an elegant appearance that you can be proud of while not investing a lot of money upfront.
The stainless steel lids and cast stainless steel handles not only help seal in flavor and moisture much more effectively, but they also make the cookware last a long time. You receive the full package when you buy the Lagostina Martellata cookware set.
Buyer’s Guide: Important Things to Know About Copper Cookware
Because a cookware set is a significant investment, you must do your research. It is essential to understand the qualities that separate good and poorly made copper cookware products, how to preserve the life of your copper cookware, and the crucial benefits of owning copper cookware.
Here are some things to consider when shopping for the best copper cookware.
Most copper cookware is lined with either stainless steel or tin, and it is critical to know the difference. Stainless steel will not conduct heat like tin will, but its durability will help it last longer. It also contains more non-toxic materials, which makes it easier to clean up.
On the other hand, tin will heat up quicker than stainless steel. Tin also holds more non-stick and non-reactive properties, but it does not need any careful maintenance. Although it is not as durable as stainless steel lining, the risk of copper separating from the lining is a lot less.
Your copper cookware’s thickness plays a pivotal role in the heating process. Thicker cookware will heat up much more efficiently, quickly, and evenly than thinner products.
It would be best for you to focus on products that are between 2.5-3 millimeters. Any product less than two millimeter-thickness will create a slower, uneven heating process. Thinner copper cookware is much more likely to dent and warp with continued use.
Finish and Appearance
Most copper cookware products you find will come with either a smooth or hammered finish. Depending on your preference and brand, you should go with a product that fits your desire and cooking needs. The finish does not necessarily impact the overall quality of the cookware.
Hammered copper cookware usually provides a higher shine and flashy appearance, while smooth finishes come in matte and shiny alternatives. Smoother finishes may also promote a more evenly distributed heating surface while you cook.
What is the Best Way to Use and Preserve the Life of Your Copper Cookware?
Before you begin cooking with your copper cookware, check out these useful tips to extend the lifespan.
Make sure you prepare all tools and ingredients before you begin cooking. Copper cookware heats quickly, so you do not want to waste time searching for ingredients and utensils during the process. When you have these things ready, it will maximize your cooking time with the copper cookware.
Choose the Right Utensils
Many copper cookware pieces will scratch easier than other alternatives. To avoid this scratching issue, you should use nylon, silicone, or wooden utensils when preparing food. These friendlier tools will prevent scratching the interior of the pot or pan.
Avoid Preheating and Overheating
Because copper cookware heats up very quickly, you do not need to preheat. Preheating increases the chances of burning or melting the pot. A useful alternative would be to pour liquid, fat, or cooking oil into the pan or pot before placing it on the hot stove. Because of the copper material’s efficiency, you only need to implement 50% of the heat level.
Pay Close Attention to the Metals
Whenever possible, avoid uncoated or scratched copper pots and pans, mainly to store or cook food. Copper forms a chemical reaction with acidic ingredients like lemon juice, vinegar, wine, and tomato sauce. It also reacts chemically with alkaline in vegetables, whole fruits, nuts, and beans.
Copper then dissolves and seeps into the specific food, causing copper toxicity. This issue can develop into vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. To avoid these problems, you should use copper cookware lined with non-reactive and unscratched metal like stainless steel or aluminum.
What are the Benefits of Copper Cookware?
There are a few reasons why copper cookware is a better choice for your long-term cooking needs.
Ability to Conduct Heat
Thermal conduction is one of the top benefits of copper cookware. It is the perfect solution for situations dealing with temperature-sensitive foods. Copper cookware helps distribute heat evenly throughout the cooking surface for a consistent cooking temperature.
Many different attractive copper cookware designs look good in the kitchen. Copper provides a distinctive appearance that other sets do not. You can hang your copper pots and pans in the kitchen for a beautiful aesthetic. A lot of copper cookware sets come with a smooth finish that adds to the attractive design.
Resistant to Corrosion
Copper is an excellent undercoat for plate layers like steel, aluminum, and tin. Although copper is not as durable as the other metal alternatives, it delivers a consistent coat without defects in the initial layer or substance. Therefore, the copper also eliminates the chances of corrosion toward the base.
Copper is one of the most useful metals for delivering adhesion between multiple surfaces. For both ferrous and non-ferrous metals, copper supports smooth and consistent coverage. When copper coats another metal like tin or stainless steel, it keeps all surfaces closely bonded and connected, resulting in even heat distribution.