The kitchen is the heart of any home and experiences the most daily activity. But you might be wondering, “why is the kitchen the heart of every home?” this is because it nourishes us not just through the body but also the mind and soul. So from eating to nourish the body, to cooking to nourish the mind, to bonding with family to nourish the soul, it’s no wonder the kitchen also has the most varied assortment of appliances.
So to help you get the most out of the heart of your home, I’ve compiled this kitchen appliances list of the 27 most helpful kitchen appliances. For your convenience, I’ve broken these handy devices into three groups, from the essentials to the non-essential but still valuable to the electric versions of manual appliances. Read on to learn what they are and how they can benefit you.
The 27 Most Useful Kitchen Appliances
While you don’t need all of these appliances in your kitchen, each of these handy gadgets has a usefulness that could make your daily life easier. How useful you’ll find a specific kitchen appliance comes down to how often you will use it.
So whenever you’re considering purchasing an appliance, ask yourself, “how often will I need assistance with the particular task this appliance performs?”. For your convenience, I’ve put together this kitchen appliances list to give you an understanding of the most useful kitchen appliances available.
Read on to learn more about the 27 most useful kitchen appliances and why you need to incorporate them into your kitchen today.
The 10 Essential Kitchen Appliances
First, we’ll start with the essentials. Below are the ten essential kitchen appliances every kitchen should have. Most U.S. households have at least half, if not most, of these appliances in their kitchens. For your convenience, I’ve arranged each appliance by how often its typically used or its usefulness.
At the very top of the most helpful appliance is the microwave. Did you know that over 90% of U.S. households own a microwave? And no wonder that so many homes have one in their kitchen. Its ability to quickly cook or defrost foods makes preparing meals much easier for the busy American.
TOSHIBA EM131A5C-BS Countertop Microwave Ovens 1.2 Cu Ft, 12.4" Removable Turntable Smart Humidity Sensor 12 Auto Menus Mute Function ECO Mode Easy Clean Interior Black Color 1100W
8 used from $96.72
- 【Pre-programmed sensor menu】 for optimum heating of popular foods like pizza, potatoes, veggies and more; Power Wattage (Microwave): 1100W; Rated Voltage: 120V - 60Hz
- 【Stylish Appearance with Large Interior, fitting a 12inch Pizza】Black exterior, 20.51 x 17.14 x 12.83 inch (w x d x h); large 1. 2 cubic feet capacity, cavity 13.07 x 15 x 9.5 inch (w x d x h), removable turntable 12.4 inch (diameter)
- 【Other Functions】1100 watts with 10 power settings, defrost by time&weight, clock, and kitchen timer
- 【Practical Control Panel】Large digital display, easy-to-read control panel. The keypad was covered by a protective film during the shipment. Please peel it off before your first use.
- 【Mute Function】If you wish to mute the buzzer of the microwave, pleas long press on the button "8" for 3-5 seconds. The buzzer is automatically switched off after a long beep.
Second on the list is the much-treasured coffee pot. I don’t know a single person that doesn’t have a coffee pot in their kitchen. Knowing so many coffee drinkers makes sense since, in the U.S., an estimated 62% of the population are daily coffee drinkers. So if you’re like most of the U.S. population and need that morning caffeine fix, having one in your kitchen is a must.
Cuisinart DCC-3000FR 12 Cup Coffee on Demand Programmable Coffee Maker (Renewed),Chrome
$69.99 in stock
- Dispenses one cup at a time with an easy-to-use actuator
- Dispenser light comes on when you press the lever to fill your cup
- Double-wall coffee reservoir holds twelve 5 oz. cups of coffee
- Fully programmable with 24-hour advance brew start, programmable auto shutoff, self clean, and 1-4 cup setting
- Easy-to-read Coffee Gauge lets you know how many cups of coffee are left. Please read the User Manual before use. Product videos can be found under the images. Please note: Paper filters are included but the Gold Tone Filter is not included in a Refurbished unit
In the top three of “most likely to be seen in a kitchen” is the toaster. From the original intention of making toast to the expanded function of toasting bagels and pastries for your morning breakfast, the toaster is a functional wonder house for preparing quick breakfast options.
GE Stainless Steel Toaster | 2 Slice | Extra Wide Slots for Toasting Bagels, Breads, Waffles & More | 7 Shade Options for the Entire Household to Enjoy | Countertop Kitchen Essentials | 850 Watts
$40.99 in stock
12 used from $34.84
- 7 SHADE SETTINGS - Enjoy a variety of toast options thanks to multiple shade adjustability that delivers 7 shades of doneness from lightest to darkest, satisfying everyone's preferences.
- EXTRA WIDE TOASTER SLOTS - Accommodate various types of breads, pastries, waffles and bagels with wide slots that measure 1.38" x 5.50".
- 2 SLICE TOASTER - A compact and efficient 2-slice toaster allows you to perfectly toast 2 slices of bread, both halves of bagels and more.
- REMOVABLE CRUMB TRAY - Keep your toaster clean and free of crumbs with a pull-out tray that you can empty with ease.
- ILLUMINATED BUTTONS - LED lights illuminate the toaster buttons to show you the setting you've chosen.
The toaster oven is the upgraded version of the traditional toaster, yes, it can still toast your bread and bagels, but it does so much more. The toaster oven operates similarly to your regular oven but in a much smaller compact size. Depending on their size, it can heat up an individual pizza or even bake chicken breasts.
Breville Mini Smart Toaster Oven, Brushed Stainless Steel, BOV450XL
$158.98 in stock
12 used from $111.27
- The Breville Mini Smart Oven with Element iQ System is for the cook who desires a countertop oven that bakes the perfect pizza, delicious cookies and toasts evenly; Don't let Mini fool you as this space saving oven offers 8 cooking functions
- ELEMENT iQ SYSTEM: Using 4 independent quartz elements, smart algorithms steer power to where and when it's needed to create the ideal cooking environment for perfect results every time; Fast 1800 Watt preheat gets your meals on the table more quickly
- 8 COOKING FUNCTIONS: Super versatile mini smart oven with 8 cooking functions to guide you to perfection: Toast, Bagel, Bake, Broil, Pizza, Roast, Cookies and Reheat
- SMALL CAPACITY: The 16.1 x 14.2 x 10.4 inch interior fits 4 slices of toast, bagels, cookies, tuna melts, 6 cup muffin tray and 11 inch pizzas; Complete with 3 rack positions, pull out crumb tray and auto shut off
- LCD DISPLAY: LCD display to more easily access the built in smart functionality, choose from 8 cooking functions
The blender is a must-have for smoothie lovers and lovers of cocktails alike. Capable of making not just drinks but also making the creation of sauces and dips or salsas and slaws so much easier. The blender is another multi-purpose kitchen hero.
Ninja BL610 Professional 72 Oz Countertop Blender with 1000-Watt Base and Total Crushing Technology for Smoothies, Ice and Frozen Fruit, Black, 9.5 in L x 7.5 in W x 17 in H
$79.99 in stock
22 used from $61.04
- PROFESSIONAL POWER: 1000 watts of professional power can crush ice and breakdown any tough ingredient.
- XL CAPACITY: The 72 oz professional blender pitcher is excellent for making frozen drinks and creamy smoothies for the entire family. 64 oz. max liquid capacity
- INTELLIGENT TECHNOLOGY: Total Crushing Technology delivers unbeatable power with blades that pulverize and crush through ice, whole fruits and vegetables in seconds.
- ICE CRUSHING: Blast ice into snow in seconds and blend your favorite ingredients into delicious resort-style frozen drinks
- RECIPE INSPIRATION: The included recipe guide provides drink and dish making inspiration.
While the blender makes creating various dishes and beverages easier, the food processor helps by replacing your need to perform specific tasks on vegetables and fruits. From pureeing to chopping to slicing, the food processor lessens the prep work you need to do to cook that fantastic dish you love.
Ninja BN601 Professional Plus Food Processor, 1000 Peak Watts, 4 Functions for Chopping, Slicing, Purees & Dough with 9-Cup Processor Bowl, 3 Blades, Food Chute & Pusher, Silver
20 used from $84.95
- MOST POWERFUL KITCHEN FOOD PROCESSOR: The 1000-peak-watt motor can process the toughest ingredients with ease. (under 11-cups, based on rated wattage and listed bowl capacity).
- PRROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE: Dedicated blades and discs deliver restaurant-worthy results. Precisely chop, consistently slice, and evenly mix all in one appliance.
- 4 VERSATILE FUNCTIONS: 4 Auto-iQ intelligent preset programs make food prep easier with 3 speeds – low, high, and pulse. Chop veggies, shred cheese, and make smooth sauces and quick pizza dough or cookie dough from scratch—all at the touch of a button.
- XL PROCESSING CAPACITY: The 9-cup (72-oz.) processing bowl delivers consistent results whether you’re chopping a small batch (a few garlic cloves) or an entire bowlful of ingredients—great for large families and entertaining guests.
- MIX DOUGH IN SECONDS: Powerful dough mixer has the torque to fold in ingredients quickly and evenly, making up to 2 lbs. of dough in as little as 30 seconds.
The deep fryer is the traditional method of frying food to a nice golden crispness. It’s perfect for getting that fast-food version of french fries, chicken, or even doughnuts from the comfort of your home.
Secura 1700-Watt Stainless-Steel Triple Basket Electric Deep Fryer with Timer Free Extra Odor Filter, 4L/17-Cup
$56.74 in stock
- Fry fish and chips at the same time. Our cool-touch, stainless steel deep fryer comes with 3 fry Baskets--One Jumbo for big batches of Finger-Licking' Fried chicken or donuts, plus 2 side-by-side baskets for smaller batches of Fish-N-Chips, Fries-N-Onion rings, or for frying foods with different cook times.
- 1700 watt immersion element preheats and recovers oil temperature fast.
- 4. 0-Liter removable oil tank for easy clean-ups, Extra set of odor Filters.
- Adjustable heat control (250°-375°f), Odor-Filter and see-thru window in lid.
- Automatic timer adjustable up to 60 min to shut down heating element. Ready light.
If your aiming for a healthier lifestyle, then the deep fryer isn’t suitable for you, and that’s where the air fryer comes in handy. It can fry food to a nice crispness without the added fat and calories of its oil-requiring counterpart, the deep fryer.
Ninja AF101 Air Fryer that Crisps, Roasts, Reheats, & Dehydrates, for Quick, Easy Meals, 4 Quart Capacity, & High Gloss Finish, Black/Grey
$99.95 in stock
14 used from $82.44
- Now enjoy guilt free food; Air fry with up to 75 percent less fat than traditional frying methods; Tested against hand cut, deep fried French fries
- Wide temperature range: 105 degree Fahrenheit to 400 degrees Fahrenheit allows you to gently remove moisture from foods or quickly cook and crisp foods with convection heat
- 4 quart ceramic coated nonstick basket and crisper plate fit 2 pounds of french fries. Cord length (feet) - 2.6
- The unit will need time to preheat before coming up to temperature. We recommend that you preheat the unit for 3 minutes before adding your ingredients to achieve the best results
- Dehydrate: Create flat, chip like dehydrated foods for fun, homemade snacks pounds; The combination of low fan speed and low temperature enables thorough dehydration
Just as its name implies, the slow cooker is ideal for slowly making a meal. Suitable for cooking meat-based dishes, so they’re juicy and tender. From delicious pulled pork to an incredible brisket or even some of the most mouthwatering gooey brownies, a slow cooker can perfectly cook just about anything.
Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker with Three Temperature Settings, 7-Quart + Lid Latch Strap, Black
$61.19 in stock
- The perfect size: comfortably fit a 7lb. Chicken or 5 lb. Roast in the large 7 quart pot. When you're done, stoneware crock and lid are dishwasher-safe. Simply wipe clean The touch pad
- Easy to travel with lid latch strap: simply stretch the strap from underneath one handle of the slow cooker to the other or cross at the middle for Extra security.
- Mix and match settings: This programmable slow cooker allows you to customize your cooking preferences for each meal by choosing any combination of time and temperature.
- No watching needed: The Hamilton Beach programmable slow cooker will automatically switch to the keep warm setting when cooking time is complete.
- Easy to clean: programmable slow cooker includes dishwasher-safe stoneware crock and lid with easy-clean touch pad.
Lastly, we have the rice cooker; if you’re like many people, making delicious rice is not easy to master. Cook it for too long, it gets mushy but too short, and it’s soft on the outside but hard inside. That’s where the beauty of the rice cooker comes in handy, especially if you make a lot of rice-based dishes.
Aroma Housewares 20 Cup Cooked (10 cup uncooked) Digital Rice Cooker, Slow Cooker, Food Steamer, SS Exterior (ARC-150SB),Black
6 used from $33.97
- Multi-functional use: whether you are in the mood for a hearty jambalaya, steamed veggies and rice, or even a fluffy cake. You can accomplish it all with Your rice cooker. The possibilities are as creative as you are.
- Nutritious & Delicious – The built-in Steam function allows for nutrient-rich meals to be prepared above while rice, soup, or any other meal simultaneously cooks below, allowing you to save time without sacrificing quality.
- Slow Cook Function – This multicooker not only includes all of your favorite cooking options like cooking rice and grains, but also possesses the Slow Cook function that allows meals to simmer low and slow.
- User-Friendly Programming – This product is a proud member of our “set it and forget it” mentality. It's incredibly simple to operate using our user-friendly digital panel that switches to Keep Warm mode automatically once cooking is finished.
- XL Capacity – 20-cup capacity yielding 4 to 20 cups of cooked rice. Its large capacity can house small individual meals, prepare sizeable family meals, and is also great for entertaining!
The 7 Non-Essential Yet Still Useful Kitchen Appliances
Next, we’ll delve into the seven non-essential but still handy appliances that can remove some of the hassles from your life. Some gadgets are just a great way to get fresher, homemade versions of the foods you love and can be fun to use too.
First, we have the food steamer, an excellent option for health-conscious people who want to cook a full meal with nothing but water and the accompanying steam it makes.
A food dehydrator is a great way to make food last longer while preserving its flavor. A food dehydrator doesn’t just make delicious jerky or dried fruits but can also make healthy dog treats and even yogurt.
While homemade ice cream is heavenly, it’s also one of the most time-consuming and taxing dishes you can make. That’s where an ice cream maker comes in handy, lessening the burden of making this delicious treat at home.
When it comes to comforting and delicious scents, nothing can compare to freshly made bread, just like no store-bought bread can compare to the taste of fresh-out-of-the-oven bread. So a good bread maker is something every lover of bread needs.
Rapid Egg Cooker
A rapid egg cooker is essential in your kitchen if you consistently have eggs for breakfast, whether scrambled, boiled, or even deviled.
The convenient mug warmer for coffee and tea lovers is perfect for keeping your favorite beverage at the ideal warm or hot temperature. Thanks to the mug warmer, you won’t experience the dreaded “setting aside your coffee cup to complete a simple task only to return to a lukewarm cup of coffee” experience again.
Who doesn’t love fresh popcorn on movie night? If you do, you know how dissatisfying the usual microwavable popcorn can be. Some of the popcorn ends up burnt, some doesn’t pop, and the taste could always be better. That’s where the beauty of a stovetop popcorn popper comes in; it can perfectly pop each kernel without burning them.
The 9 Neatest Electric Versions of Other Appliances
Lastly, I’ll cover the electric versions of the usual manual (non-electric) kitchen appliances. Many of these appliances will be instrumental to people with limited kitchen space or those without stovetops. At the same time, others are handy alternatives to their manual versions because they lessen the burdensome strain on you.
First up is the electric skillet, an excellent alternative to the standard skillet or saucepan. It does the same job but is ideal for those without access to a working stovetop.
Like the electric skillet, the electric griddle is a good alternative for people without a usable stovetop. It can cook eggs, pancakes, and even burgers with ease.
Electric Hot Plate
This electric hot plate, also known as an electric burner, is a great appliance that can replace or add another burner to your home kitchen. They’re handy if you have limited kitchen space or no stove, allowing you to use them like a regular stovetop to boil, cook, or sautee food as needed. Then, when done, you can store it away.
An electric kettle is a quicker alternative to the usual stovetop kettle but with the added benefit of automatically turning off within a minute or less after it is done boiling.
There’s nothing quite like juice straight from the source, but making juice by hand is yet another burdensome task that causes many people to think twice about it. Luckily there are electric juicers that do all the work for you.
Electric Indoor Grill
With an indoor electric grill, you can take advantage of great-tasting burgers on rainy days or if, like many Americans, you live in an apartment complex with no outdoor space.
Whether a handheld or standing mixer, this electric version of the whisk is a must-have replacement for the wrist and arm-hurting ingredient blending task.
An electric knife is a must-have item during Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any big family dinner. It’s perfect for removing the strain of craving that huge turkey during Thanksgiving or a ham during Easter.
Electric Can Opener
Last but not least is the electric can opener. The electric can opener is an incredible invention that makes it easier to open pesky canned foods, especially for people with limited hand mobility or arthritis.
As I’ve previously stated, you don’t need all of these appliances in your kitchen, especially if you, like most Americans, have limited kitchen space. However, it is helpful to know that handy gadgets are available to make your daily routine easier for you and your family.
I’ve covered everything from essential appliances to non-essential but still helpful and even the electric counterparts to the typical manual kitchen devices.
So if you’re an avid coffee or tea drinker, purchasing a mug warmer is a great way to ensure your warm drinks stay warm, just as intended. However, an electric can opener will be your savior if you frequently cook using canned foods.
Hopefully, some of the items on this kitchen appliances list have proved informative for putting together the most productive kitchen for the heart of your home.