For a while, Rotisserie Oven and Grill went out of fashion as people were enthralled by innovations like the gas grill, hibachi, roaster oven, air-fryer, and other more modern-looking kitchen appliances. In recent years, however, the rotisserie oven has silently been making a comeback.
Here is everything you need to know about this clever kitchen appliance, as well as a few recommendations on the best ones out there. As a bonus, we’ll even teach you how to use it to make that perfect rotisserie chicken!
Table of Contents
Rotisserie Oven and Grill | Everything You Need to Know About This Clever Kitchen Appliance
What is a Rotisserie Oven and Grill?
A rotisserie oven is an oven that is equipped with one or more spits that rotate as you use it. This is a relatively unique way of cooking that is popularly used on different kinds of poultry.
Rotating the poultry on the rotisserie spits as it cooks allows the meat to be coated in its own drippings. The process creates an appetizing, crispy, golden-brown exterior that is perfect for those family gatherings.
Rotisserie Oven and Grill are most often used for chickens. Bigger models can also accommodate small to medium turkeys, ducks, and Cornish hens. More specialized ovens with stronger rotors and spits can also cook geese.
Most often, rotisserie ovens are found in restaurant kitchens, industrial kitchens, and delicatessens. Ovens here often have over a dozen spits, with each spit capable of holding multiple whole chickens or an entire turkey.
The cooked poultry is then sold either in dishes, as a whole, or as packaged foods. Of course, the prices of these ovens are also much higher than those designed for home use.
Smaller models for domestic kitchens, on the other hand, have a much more affordable price. They usually have only one or two spits, and may be limited in terms of the size and weight of the poultry that they can accommodate.
These rotisserie oven and grill are often designed to carry only smaller birds like chickens or Cornish hens. Larger variations of them may be able to cook turkeys, but only up to a certain size. The weight capacity is often capped at 15 pounds or about 7 kilos.
As an added benefit, however, most of these home ovens have interior rotisserie accessories that the user can switch out to cook other kinds of food like pizza.
A standard countertop rotisserie oven would also usually come with a baking pan to bake cookies on or a broiler rack to broil chicken or pork in. An even more compact alternative known as a rotisserie toaster oven can also be used to toast bread and often come with a slide-out crumb tray.
Benefits of Rotisserie Oven and Grill Cooking
Rotisserie ovens are fast becoming a must-have piece of kitchen appliance because of the many advantages it provides. Some of these include:
- Rotisserie ovens help save time
A modern rotisserie or convection oven heats up much faster compared to traditional ovens. This is because of the fan and exhaust systems that they have that blow hot air into the food being cooked.
Plus, because of their versatility, they can also be used to cook rice, chicken, and vegetables all at the same time.
- They are extremely easy to use
Ease of use is also one of the biggest advantages rotisserie ovens have. Just put the meat on the rotisserie spits, sit back, relax, and watch your food cook to that golden brown perfection.
Because of the rotating skewers, there is no longer any need to roll the meat from one side to another unlike with a traditional grill. You get an even roast on all sides with no hassle whatsoever.
Maximize your oven by learning how to use the other parts it often comes with such as a stainless steel tray, a fish basket, and even some kebab skewers. Just make sure to follow the appliance’s manual whenever you use it.
- You get much tastier food
If you have ever tried roasting food in a traditional oven, then you will love roasting in a rotisserie oven.
Rotisserie ovens help enhance flavor. Food cooked in this handy appliance comes out much more tender and saucier.
- Rotisserie ovens are healthier alternatives
If you want to maintain a healthier diet, then a rotisserie oven is a perfect partner for you.
This is because roasting food in them removes unhealthy fat from the meat.
Fortunately, most rotisserie ovens come with a removable drip tray so you don’t have to worry about making a mess from all those drained oils.
Horizontal Rotisserie Oven vs Vertical Rotisserie Oven
When it comes to rotisserie cooking, there are often two varying methods: vertical or horizontal. Here is a look at both:
Horizontal Rotisserie Cooking
Horizontal rotisserie cooking is the more common and preferred method of rotisserie cooking. This method keeps the juices inside the meat as it continuously rolls it around. The small amount of juices drained from the meat continues to self-baste because of the rotation process.
Vertical Rotisserie Cooking
The vertical rotisserie cooking method, on the other hand, is the healthier alternative.
Vertical rotisseries are specifically designed to drain unhealthy fats and grease from the meat. Some people argue that this results in less flavorful food, but undoubtedly, it is the healthier approach.
Despite these hesitations, meat cooked in a vertical rotisserie oven still cooks evenly. It also allows its users to steam from the inside by simply pouring marinade in a drip pan and allowing it to infuse with the meat throughout the rotation process.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Rotisserie Oven and Grill
Now that you know about the advantages of rotisserie cooking, as well as the different types of rotisserie ovens, it’s time to understand what factors you need to consider before buying one for yourself.
Here are some of those considerations so you can make the most of your oven:
Of course, everyone wants appliances that will last long. Before making a purchase, consider how much you will be using your oven for roasting. You also have to think about what you plan on using it for.
Models made of stainless steel are typically more durable. You also have to look at the tongs and rotisserie spits the oven comes with and make sure that they will be able to support the weight of the meat.
- Ease of use and cleaning
A non-stick surface should be non-negotiable when choosing a rotisserie oven. This makes cleaning it after use much easier. Look for ovens that use healthy materials for the non-stick coating, as older variations often use those that give off toxic fumes when heated.
Furthermore, you should look for ones with adjustable temperature features and those that have timers so you can have better control over your cooking. These features are often found in higher-end models.
You may also want to look for models that have display windows and interior lights so you can see what is going on inside the oven. Accessories included such as tongs, baking pans, shelves, and meat shredders may be available depending on the model you choose.
Of course, a rotisserie oven that has an extra-large capacity will also occupy more counter space. Plan for your purchase by making the necessary measurements and checking to see if the model you want to buy will fit in its designated location.
Think about how often you will be using your oven before clicking that “Purchase” button.
Toaster ovens that also have rotisserie functions are cheaper, but they are not built for frequent usage. On the other hand, the slightly pricier commercial-grade rotisserie ovens are capable of cooking more food at the same time and are built for repeated use.
The 5 Best Rotisserie Oven and Grill on the Market
1. Instant Pot Vortex Pro 9-in-1 Air Fryer
Instant Pot initially made its name in the world of appliances with its famous electric pressure cookers. Since then, the company has continued to produce more high-quality products. The latest of its many innovations: the Instant Pot Vortex Pro 9-in1 Air Fryer.
Instant Vortex Pro Air Fryer, 10 Quart, 9-in-1 Rotisserie and Convection Oven, From the Makers of Instant Pot with EvenCrisp Technology, App With Over 100 Recipes, 1500W, Stainless Steel
- 9-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Air fry, bake, broil, dehydrate, roast, proof, toast, reheat and rotisserie..Frequency : 60Hz
- EvenCrisp TECHNOLOGY: Advanced technology that drives air flow top down for a perfect golden finish and crispy, tender results every time!
- ROTISSERIE FEATURE: Perfect for self-basting and tumble-frying. Top heating element with fan ensures optimal cooking and baking performance.
- ONE-TOUCH SMART PROGRAMS: 6 customizable programs for one-touch rotisserie-style chicken, garlicky potatoes, cookies, cinnamon buns and more!
- FAST PREHEATING: Little to no preheating time, from frozen to golden in minutes! Create gourmet meals with the versatility of a temperature range of 95 to 400° F.
The highly-rated oven is a rotisserie oven that is capable of so much more. It can also toast, bake, roast, air fry, broil, prood, and dehydrate everything from chicken to beef – all while being energy efficient.
It has a 10-quart size that makes it large enough for cooking family meals. It also comes with a basket that is used on the rotisserie rod for cooking food and letting it tumble inside. This is perfect for small foods such as French fries as it gets rid of the need to continuously flip or stir it, giving you more time to focus on other things.
2. Emeril Lagasse Power AirFryer 360
With 12 cooking functions, 1500 watts of power, and five heating elements, the Emeril Lagasse Power AirFryer 360 is a versatile oven ready to take over the most common cooking tasks of a regular oven.
Emeril Lagasse Power Air Fryer 360 Better Than Convection Ovens Hot Air Fryer Oven, Toaster Oven, Bake, Broil, Slow Cook and More Food Dehydrator, Rotisserie Spit, Pizza Function Cookbook Included Stainless Steel
6 used from $114.00
- Emerald 9-in-1 air fryer – replace your countertop convection oven! 5 all-over heating elements mimic a commercial-quality oven for perfect, even cooking. Most convection ovens only have 3. 12 pre-set cooking functions let you choose what you want to cook and how: custom toaster oven setting for up to 6 slices of bread, roast a whole turkey, bake desserts, air fry fried chicken, slow cooking up to 10 hours, roast vegetables, dehydrate jerky and fruit, bake crisp-crust pizza & more.
- Better than ordinary convection ovens - 360° quick cook technology and five super powerful heating elements mean your meals cook evenly on all sides in a whirlwind of super-heated air for crispy, delicious flavors. No added fats, oils, or unhealthy grease required. Get chef-quality results in one compact, 1500-watt countertop oven - 40% faster than regular ovens.
- Extra versatile – LCD digital display with 12 cooking functions: air fry, bake, rotisserie, dehydrate, toast, reheat, roast, broil, bagel, pizza, slow cook, and Warm/ reheat. Using an air fryer over a traditional deep fryer can help reduce the number of unhealthy CALORIES you consume by up to 70% while still letting you enjoy your favorite foods.
- Rotisserie stand not included-stainless-steel construction – a sleek, state-of-the art appliance to complement your kitchen and surrounding accessories, This All-in-One air fryer, rotisserie, and Dehydrator oven provides long-lasting versatility and an XL 930 cubic inch capacity. Includes a crisper tray, rotisserie spit, pizza rack, baking pan, drip tray, and cook book with recipes written by Emeril himself!
- Trusted Emeril Lagasse Quality – every multi-purpose hot air fryer we produce is backed by chef-quality design, construction, and support to ensure it lasts through every evening meal, holiday dinner, and quick bite of delicious fries!
The oven’s rotisserie is able to handle even a 12-pound turkey for roasting. It can also bake, dehydrate, toast, broil, reheat, air-fry, slow cook, and warm your food.
The Emeril Lagasse oven is also most recommended for those who want to slow cook their food. The oven can be programmed to slow cook food for as long as 10 hours, giving you extremely tender meats once done.
3. COSORI 12-in-1 Convection Roaster
The COSORI 12-in-1 Convection Roaster, with its 32-quart, extra-large capacity, is the perfect oven for large families and parties.
COSORI Air Fryer Toaster Oven, 12-in-1 Convection Oven Countertop with Rotisserie, Stainless Steel 32QT/32L, 6-Slice Toast, 13-inch Pizza,100 Recipes, Basket, Tray(6 Accessories)Included, CO130-AO
- 12 FUNCTIONS: Choose the preset that’s best for you without needing to set a temperature. Pick from Toast, Bagel, Pizza, Bake, Roast, Air Fry, Broil, Cookies, Rotisserie, Dehydrate, Ferment, or select Warm to keep your food ready to serve.Special Features: Programmable
- LARGE CAPACITY: Cook for 5-7 people with the 32-quart/30-litre air fryer toaster oven, which can fit a 13-inch pizza, 6 slices of bread, or an entire rotisserie chicken
- CONVECTION FUNCTION: Reduce your cooking time by using the Smart Air Fryer Toaster Oven. Use the convection fan for fast and even cooking—especially if you like crispy results. This function is perfect for a rotisserie chicken
- RECIPES & ACCESSORIES: Check out the included 100 recipe book and 6 accessories such as the crumb tray, fry basket, food tray, wire rack, and rotisserie fork set for more cooking options. To purchase a toaster oven baking set, search “CAO1-3AC”
- LESS OIL: Air fry your food with up to 85% less oil than traditional deep-fried foods, making for a simpler cooking experience. Turn your toaster oven into an air fryer
The oven is equipped with presets for roasting, air frying, toasting, broiling, baking, rotisserie cooking, and many more. It also has an LED screen that makes it easy for the owner to check the settings, especially when rotisserie is not on the menu.
It is also fitted with buttons and dials for adjusting time, mode, and temperature. Plus, the interior of the oven has a light so it is easy to see the food inside and is also coated with a nonstick coating so it is equally easy to clean.
4. Nesco 6-Quart Ivory Roaster with Porcelain Cookwell
If space is a bit of an issue for you, then the Nesco 6-Quart Ivory Roaster with Porcelain Cookwell is the best rotisserie oven for you. This compact roaster is big enough for cooking for family meals while being small enough to fit in small spaces.
Nesco 4816-14 Porcelain Roaster Oven, 6 quart, White
1 used from $63.10
- 750-Watt heating base for moist, even cooking
- Removable 6 quart cook well serves up to 6 people
- Full-range temperature control (200°f - 450°f)
- Durable porcelain enamel finish
- Stay cool side handles
It has temperatures that can be set for 250 to 400 degrees, and an oval shape that is great for roasting foods of all kinds. It also comes with a roasting rack so you can safely and easily handle the food you are cooking.
Plus, this handy piece of kitchen appliance comes in several colors so you can choose one that best matches the theme of your kitchen.
5. NutriChef Countertop Vertical Rotating Oven
If you’re looking for a vertical rotisserie oven, then the NutriChef Countertop Vertical Rotating Oven is here for you. Not only does this present a healthier way of cooking, but it also takes up a lot less space compared to horizontal rotisserie ovens.
Nutrichef Upgraded Multi-Function Rotisserie Oven - Vertical Countertop Oven with Bake, Turkey Thanksgiving, Broil Roasting Kebab Rack with Adjustable Settings, 2 Shelves 1500 Watt - AZPKRT97
$79.00 in stock
- INNOVATIVE STYLE & DESIGN: Ideal addition to any home or establishment, Convenient heat resistant tempered glass door
- VERSATILE MEAL PREPARATIVE: Multi function oven cooking ability, Bake, Roast, Broil, and Rotisserie & More
- QUALITY & FEATURES: Safe placement on any kitchen table or countertop, High powered heating elements, Energy efficient & time saving cooking, Adjustable time & temperature setting
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Kebab skewer rack, bake pan & grill racks, stain resistant & easy to clean, Use the rotating kebab rack for tasty results
- WARRANTY: By purchasing the Nutrichef Vertical Rotisserie Oven you receive a worry free 1 year warranty and our friendly customer service
This particular oven from NutriChef also comes with a grease drip tray, seven kebab skewers, and other rotisserie accessories. It is time-saving and energy-efficient as well.
How to Make Rotisserie Oven and Grill Chicken
Total prep and cook time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tsps. of paprika
- 1 ½ tsps. Of dried thyme
- 1 tsp. Of garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Of onion powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole chicken (4 to 5 lbs.)
- 2 tbsps. Of olive oil
- Start by whisking together in a small bowl your thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and paprika. Remove the giblets as well and truss the chicken.
- Next, skewer your trussed chicken and rub your spice mixture all over it.
- Finally, insert your skewers into the rotisserie and cook your rotisserie chicken according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Make sure to let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before carving.
Having a rotisserie oven in your kitchen will provide you with a lot of advantages when it comes to preparing rich, delicious, flavorful, and healthier food. Make sure to read our guide so that all your questions about this clever kitchen appliance are answered before you buy one for your family.
Do you have other questions before you buy a rotisserie oven of your own? Ask them in the comments section below!
- 5 Tips On How To Cook, Season And Roast A Turkey
- What Is A Broiler Pan? Is It Worth It?
- The Top 5 Must-Have Kitchen Gadgets Of 2021